Slices

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Mon Dec 12 12:14:52 PST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 16:08, Sasa Stupar wrote:
				Robert Huff

> You can also do the same as I did. I have just configured one slice named /
> which takes all the space on hdd and now I don't need to worry about space
> shortage.

If you do that you will need to manually turn-on soft-updates, which are off
by default for /,  otherwise the performance will be poor. This doesn't
matter in a normal layout as / is normally small, and not much writes to it.

If this is an old computer that can't boot beyond 1k cylinders, there is also
the possibilty  that the slice becomes unbootable after a future kernel
update.