openoffice-2 & openssl-beta-0.9.8a

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:23:55 PST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 15:36, Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> > On Friday 09 December 2005 12:15, Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> >> You FreeBSD guys,
> >>
> >> This is a kind of reposting, I got no response to this question (Why? Is
> >> there something wrong how I write my my question(s)?), whether list
> >> (archives) nor google told me something _really_ helpful - just stupid
> >> work arounds -sorry.
> >>
> >> I suppose there are many of you using the OpenOffice-2.0 package from
> >> http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/ which requires
> >> openssl-beta-0.9.8a
> >> to be installed (I don't understand why).
> >>
> >> Installing openssl-beta from ports at first doesn't hurt. But at the
> >> stage
> >> of portupgrading next time it starts to be a pain, so I end up removing
> >> openoffice-2 and openssl-beta _before_ I do a portupgrade. If I don't
> >> remove both ports, any port that requires openssl is built with
> >> openssl-beta instead of openssl from the base system. If I add
> >> WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes, which seemd to be a good  solution, net-snmp
> >> (required for kdeutils) complains that it cannot build if there is a
> >> newer
> >> openssl version installed by a port. There we are again, byebye
> >> openssl-beta/openoffice, portupgrade, reinstall both.
> >>

> >> I'm a bit of a loss, no answer, no help by google, but I can't be the
> >> only
> >> one who faces this problem. How are you dealing with this? Do I overlook
> >> something?
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >> Ben
>
> Mike,
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> > You allready have the answer, you said it works when you build from
> > ports. If you don't want to always rebuild openoffice when you upgrade
> > ports mark it as ignored in pkgtools.conf.
>
> I already did - just because I don't want to compile OOo. Building OOo-2
> on a PIII/1,13 isn't very funny. :-). OOo-1.1 was a little nightmare,
> especially because it took me a while to succeed - you'd surely find on
> google ;-). Last but not least, I don't have 9 free GBs. Really. :-)
>
> I just don't understand why the package I mentioned requires openssl,
> because I can't see any dependency on openssl, neither for building nor
> for running.
>

> A third way would be to use the ports openssl-beta as systems default?
>
> Ben
>
> > -Mike

Your better off leaving openssl set to the one in base and building from
source anything that depends on openssl.  The problem with packages is you
are at the mercy of how someone else built them.

I also don't see where the openssl dependency is comming from and have to
take your word for it the package of open office you tried had one.

If your installed open office was built by you and works I highly recommend
you back it up, something like

pkg_create -b /var/db/pkg/openoffice.org-2.0.0_1 and save the resulting
openoffice.org-2.0.0_1.tgz somewhere safe.  Now if in the future yoy want
to upgrade it again from source and it doesn't work you always have a known
good copy to fall back on.

-Mike