openoffice-2 & openssl-beta-0.9.8a

Benjamin Thelen bt at ccgis.de
Fri Dec 9 15:35:41 PST 2005

> On Friday 09 December 2005 12:15, Benjamin Thelen wrote:
>> You FreeBSD guys,
>>
>> This is a kind of reposting, I got no response to this question (Why? Is
>> there something wrong how I write my my question(s)?), whether list
>> (archives) nor google told me something _really_ helpful - just stupid
>> work arounds -sorry.
>>
>> I suppose there are many of you using the OpenOffice-2.0 package from
>> http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/ which requires
>> openssl-beta-0.9.8a
>> to be installed (I don't understand why).
>>
>> Installing openssl-beta from ports at first doesn't hurt. But at the
>> stage
>> of portupgrading next time it starts to be a pain, so I end up removing
>> openoffice-2 and openssl-beta _before_ I do a portupgrade. If I don't
>> remove both ports, any port that requires openssl is built with
>> openssl-beta instead of openssl from the base system. If I add
>> WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes, which seemd to be a good  solution, net-snmp
>> (required for kdeutils) complains that it cannot build if there is a
>> newer
>> openssl version installed by a port. There we are again, byebye
>> openssl-beta/openoffice, portupgrade, reinstall both.
>>

>> I'm a bit of a loss, no answer, no help by google, but I can't be the
>> only
>> one who faces this problem. How are you dealing with this? Do I overlook
>> something?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Ben

Mike,
Thanks for your answer.

> You allready have the answer, you said it works when you build from ports.
> If you don't want to always rebuild openoffice when you upgrade ports
> mark it as ignored in pkgtools.conf.

I already did - just because I don't want to compile OOo. Building OOo-2
on a PIII/1,13 isn't very funny. :-). OOo-1.1 was a little nightmare,
especially because it took me a while to succeed - you'd surely find on
google ;-). Last but not least, I don't have 9 free GBs. Really. :-)

I just don't understand why the package I mentioned requires openssl,
because I can't see any dependency on openssl, neither for building nor
for running.

A third way would be to use the ports openssl-beta as systems default?

Ben