Bacula vs. Amanda vs. whatever ...

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Dec 8 18:21:52 PST 2005

> I have a home network with two FreeBSD servers (web- and file-server), a =
> number of Windows desktops and a wireless FreeBSD laptop all connected to o=
> ne another using Samba.=20

Advantage of Amanda, if I understand well, is that you don't need to
install anything on your Windows machines.

I have been using Amanda to backup various Unixes and Windows for
years now and it is very satisfactory.

I even wrote some web interface so that Windows user could add some
shares to back-up, without any sys admin help. OK that bit has not
been tested with XP...

Olivier