gnome2

spen espanop at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:37:27 PST 2005

O/H Louis J. LeBlanc έγραψε:

>On Wed, December 7, 2005 12:21 pm, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>

>>--On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:13:45 -0500 "Louis J. LeBlanc"
>><FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> wrote:
>>

>>><quote who="Paul Schmehl">

>>>Actually, don't the docs suggest turning OFF ttyv8?  IIRC, the more
>>>recent
>>>approach is to put "gdm_enable=YES" (or something similar) in /etc/rc.d.
>>>Check the pkg_message file in the port directory to be sure.
>>>

>>pkg-message points to www.freebsd.org/gnome, which doesn't say anything
>>about startup (AFAICS) except this:
>>
>>Make GNOME 2.12 start when X starts.
>>
>>Once you have the GNOME 2.12 desktop installed, GNOME 2.12 can be started
>>by adding the following line to ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc, as appropriate:
>>
>>exec gnome-session
>>

>Yes, this detail was mentioned previously, and I did forget to repeat it ...
>

>>There's nothing about starting gnome in /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>>
>>The Handbook suggests using ttyv8 (as I do) for xdm (section 5.6.2):
>>ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
>>

>Yes, this turns the display manager running on ttyv8 off - no display
>manager will start up.  It does, however, create the virtual terminal for
>gdm to start on.  This is actually the default entry anyway.
>

>><SNIP>
>>

>>Section 5.7.1.2 says this:
>>
>>The easiest way to start GNOME is with GDM, the GNOME Display Manager.
>>GDM,
>>which is installed as a part of the GNOME desktop (but is disabled by
>>default), can be enabled by adding gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. Once
>>you have rebooted, GNOME will start automatically once you log in -- no
>>further configuration is necessary.
>>
>>In short, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
>>

>Actually, I was under the impression they were just different parts of the
>same procedure.  I believe the entry above assumes that /etc/ttys has not
>already been modified to start xdm (i.e. it's still "off", which is the
>default at install).
>
>If the virtual terminal line is omitted or commented out, gdm will not
>have a place to run.  If it is "on" instead of "off" that terminal will
>run xdm instead.  If "gdm_enable=yes" is not put in /etc/rc.conf (I wrote
>/etc/rc.d in my last message, which was a mistake on my part), the script
>installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ will not start gdm at startup.
>
>Thanks for the correction regarding /etc/rc.conf.
>
>Cheers.
>Lou

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I had already enabled

"gdm_enable=YES"

in /etc/rc.conf but still no change
I also tried the

Edit /etc/ttys like this:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/sbin/gdm -nodaemon" xterm   on  secure

but it did not start after reboot. There was an error about
not finding something (sorry i did not keep the error).
So I thought to "make install clean" from the ports again.
Now I m waiting for it to finish (takes a lot of time...)
and see it again.
I did that also because I did not find   the script
installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

I'll keep you informed.