gnome2

Louis J. LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Dec 7 10:04:56 PST 2005

On Wed, December 7, 2005 12:21 pm, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:13:45 -0500 "Louis J. LeBlanc"
> <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> wrote:
>
>> <quote who="Paul Schmehl">
>>>
>>> Edit /etc/ttys like this:
>>> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/sbin/gdm -nodaemon" xterm   on  secure
>>>
>>> And gnome will start when you boot.
>>>
>> Actually, don't the docs suggest turning OFF ttyv8?  IIRC, the more
>> recent
>> approach is to put "gdm_enable=YES" (or something similar) in /etc/rc.d.
>> Check the pkg_message file in the port directory to be sure.
>>
> pkg-message points to www.freebsd.org/gnome, which doesn't say anything
> about startup (AFAICS) except this:
>
> Make GNOME 2.12 start when X starts.
>
> Once you have the GNOME 2.12 desktop installed, GNOME 2.12 can be started
> by adding the following line to ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc, as appropriate:
>
> exec gnome-session

Yes, this detail was mentioned previously, and I did forget to repeat it ...

> There's nothing about starting gnome in /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>
> The Handbook suggests using ttyv8 (as I do) for xdm (section 5.6.2):
> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

Yes, this turns the display manager running on ttyv8 off - no display
manager will start up.  It does, however, create the virtual terminal for
gdm to start on.  This is actually the default entry anyway.

> <SNIP>

> Section 5.7.1.2 says this:
>
> The easiest way to start GNOME is with GDM, the GNOME Display Manager.
> GDM,
> which is installed as a part of the GNOME desktop (but is disabled by
> default), can be enabled by adding gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. Once
> you have rebooted, GNOME will start automatically once you log in -- no
> further configuration is necessary.
>
> In short, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Actually, I was under the impression they were just different parts of the
same procedure.  I believe the entry above assumes that /etc/ttys has not
already been modified to start xdm (i.e. it's still "off", which is the
default at install).

If the virtual terminal line is omitted or commented out, gdm will not
have a place to run.  If it is "on" instead of "off" that terminal will
run xdm instead.  If "gdm_enable=yes" is not put in /etc/rc.conf (I wrote
/etc/rc.d in my last message, which was a mistake on my part), the script
installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ will not start gdm at startup.

Thanks for the correction regarding /etc/rc.conf.

Cheers.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc                 FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :þ
http://www.keyslapper.net                       Ô¿Ô¬