Update 5.4 -> 6.0

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Dec 1 12:39:58 PST 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 08:16, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > It's my suspicion that updating 5.4 to 6.0 via CVSup leaves alot of old
> > libraries in place. Is this anywhere near correct?
> > Is there an easy way to fix them?
> Software compiled under 5.x will almost definitely still run perfectly
> well when the box is upgraded to 6.0, but as soon as you start installing
> new software or upgrading some packages you'll start running into library
> version conflicts.  Re-installing wholesale will prevent that.

There are still about a dozen ports that directly depend on misc/compat5x -
most notably the native opera port, and the nvidia driver port. I was just
looking at how the compat5x port libraries get used, and it seems the
abandoned 5x libraries are used in preference to those in the port despite
the fact that the port may pickup security updates.

Is there any easy way to clean-out these libraries?