FreeBSD telnetd and Microsoft Internet Explorer

Peter Clutton peterclutton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:38:00 PST 2005

On 12/1/05, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2005-11-30 14:05, Stevan Tiefert <stevan.tiefert at freenet.de> wrote:
> > Internet Explorer is showing the filenames and time (of the ftpd)
> > together as one filename?!? That means on ftpd:
> >
> > $ ls -al .login
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 248 29 Nov 14:39 .login
> >
> > and in IE I see the icon with filename "14:39 .login"!!!
>
> Too bad for IE's broken FTP client :P
>
> > Is there a workaround for that?
>
> Yes.  Use a *REAL* ftp client and not that braindead Redmond crap :)

<rant>
That is completely true. Why anybody would use IE for ftp is baffling.
Through every release of Windows, IE has been incapable of visiting
99% of FTP sites. In older versions of Windows it would crash the
whole comp, and in recent releases you might get away with it crashing
the browser. Very occasional is you have 15 minutes to spare, you
might get to see the contents of the directory.

  For years i thought there must be something wrong with FTP in
general, until one day, after failing to get to ftp.freebsd.org my
life was changed by trying firefox. It opened in less than a second.
Feel free to try it in IE right now, i just did, and after a good five
minutes, it gave me an error. I was just relieved it didn't crash
anything. I could drop a list of a random 50 popular ftp sites and you
would get the same dichotomy of results, and you would be lucky if one
in that 50 worked. Keep in mind this is on a Celeron 2.4Ghz 256MB ram,
and like 10 megs worth of internet pipes coming into the place i work.

 I mean i don't make a habit of frothing at the mouth about Windows,
but this is supposedly an FTP client, and it has _NEVER_ worked! Is
everyone blind to this? How can anyone, even m$, call that a product?
</rant>

Having said that i do hope there is a solution for you if you need to use IE.