Making the Leap to 5.4 and 64bit

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Aug 3 22:26:15 GMT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Wil Hatfield wrote:

> Chad,
>
> So I can kick it down to 32bit. Great to know and I may have to do
> that
> myself. I will probably give the build a whirl both ways and
> compare some
> benchmarks. Maybe even all 3 ways as I have some R&D time.
>
> Any settings I should know about to kick the install down to 32bit? I
> suppose 4.11 is native 32bit or do I have to kick that down too on
> a 64bit
> system?

Just use the appropriate install media.  The i386 install is
automatically a 32bit i386 architecture install (and the machine will
run as is) and the amd64 is an AMD64 and EMT64 or whatever the intel
version is called install and will install a 64bit version.

The 64 bit processors will run in 32bit mode and installing the 32bit
OS will do it for you automatically.

Chad