gateway troubles

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Apr 19 10:50:56 PDT 2005

Ash wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> hi !
>> i have fbsd 5.3 router with gateway_enable="YES >>/etc/rc.conf
>> and 3 interfaces:
>> 1. xl0 (mynet)
>> 2. rl0
>> 3. tun0 (internet) cuaa0
>>
>> i need to get work router from mynet to  rl0 net and internet .
>> i want to do that without natd but net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 work
>> only on one psihical interface :)  i need to get work gateway
>> between 3 interfaces . what i need to do ?
>

> In order to route traffic between your local network and the Internet
> WITHOUT using NAT, then your ISP needs to assign a routeable public
> subnet to you as well as at least one address on a segment shared
> with one of their routers. Somehow, I get the feeling that this isn't
> the case so probably will need to use NAT.
>
> FreeBSD gives you a few choices when it comes to building a
> router/firewall
> box. As always the handbook is the best place to start:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
>
> Incidentally, the handbook is available in multiple languages:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/

I've left Ash's info in, since a pointer to the handbook is always a Good
Thing(tm) in the best of FreeBSD's traditions...

I notice your WAN link is tun0 ... are you using userland ppp(8)?  Because
ppp has a -nat switch and, AFAIK, it doesn't care where else on the box
your packets are coming from.

I use "ppp -nat -background myisp" to call ppp and everybody gets
along fine ... except for the low bandwidth... :-(

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey