gateway troubles

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 19 09:19:49 PDT 2005

Alex wrote:
> hi !
> i have fbsd 5.3 router with gateway_enable="YES >>/etc/rc.conf
> and 3 interfaces:
> 1. xl0 (mynet)
> 2. rl0
> 3. tun0 (internet) cuaa0
>
> i need to get work router from mynet to  rl0 net and internet . i want
> to do that without natd but net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 work only on one
> psihical interface :)  i need to get work gateway between 3 interfaces .
> what i need to do ?

In order to route traffic between your local network and the Internet
WITHOUT using NAT, then your ISP needs to assign a routeable public
subnet to you as well as at least one address on a segment shared with
one of their routers. Somehow, I get the feeling that this isn't the
case so probably will need to use NAT.

FreeBSD gives you a few choices when it comes to building a
router/firewall box. As always the handbook is the best place to start:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html

Incidentally, the handbook is available in multiple languages:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/

Good luck,
-Ash