Error making Sendmail with SMTP AUTH

greg at grokking.org greg at grokking.org
Mon Apr 18 10:06:34 PDT 2005

Nick wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> $ m make.conf
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Sat Nov 20 20:42:01 2004
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.8.5
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/sasl1 -DSASL
> SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl
>
> and
>
> # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
> # make cleandir
> # make obj
> # make  <<< error text generated at this point
> # make install

Nick:

I haven't used saslv1 in a long time but I used to use sendmail auth on
FBSD 5.3 (before recently moving to Postfix) that used SASLv2 with
sendmail quite successfully. The following lines are taken verbatim from
its /etc/make.conf:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS+= -L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD+= -lsasl2

I would try removing the old cyrus-sasl first, then use the above lines
to tell sendmail to build against saslv2 and then do a complete `make
world` if this is practical in your environment.

I suspect your problem might stem from some confusion over having both
sasl versions on the system. Another possibility is the documentation
you took the syntax for make.conf from is incorrect.

Maybe someone else on the list can shed more light on this...

Hope that helps,