Support for Alviso (Intel i915) chipset networking?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Apr 17 17:01:28 PDT 2005

Nick Triantos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought a Sony VGN-S380 laptop, which is based on
> Intel's Sonoma platform.  This includes the Intel i915
> chipset.  I'm looking for ethernet (not wireless) drivers
> for it, the fxp driver reluctantly loads, but doesn't
> recognize that there's a compatible card in my system.

Isn't the i915 the graphics chipset?  What is known about
the NIC portion of this board?  What shows up in dmesg?

<snip>

>   root# kldstat
>   Id Refs Address    Size    Name
>    4    1 0xc1f23000 8000    if_fxp.ko
>
> However, ifconfig does not show an interface to this
> card (it shows lo0 and fwe0, which I think is the firewire ethernet
> driver).

It is.

> Any clues?  It looks like a fix has been applied to the fxp driver,
> in time for rel 5.3, that should have added alviso chip support.
> Maybe I'm missing some other core logic driver, I really don't know.

Hmm, what are you referring to here?

IANAE, so please hang on in case someone (who likely isn't sitting
at their desk on a Sunday afternoon) knowledgeable comes along;
however, I see no mention of "i915" either in the manpage for fxp(4),
nor can I grep "Alviso" or "i915" in any files under /src/sys/pci or
/src/sys/net.  Google doesn't turn up much, either.

The thing is pretty new, so I'd wonder if it's supported.  You can
definitely take a look at the HCL at the website.  I'll hope for your
sake it is --- like I said, IANAE.  But, I do wonder...

Kevin Kinsey