Enable SHMEM inside a jail?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Apr 17 10:47:05 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 05:22:26AM -0500, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm root inside a FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE jail, and I need to enable
> SHMEM. I cannot recompile the kernel, because I cannot reboot the server.
>
> Would anyone happen to have any suggestions?

In 4.x you cannot load this support dynamically, so you have to
recompile the kernel.  If you already have support in the kernel and
you question is really 'how do I allow access to it inside the jail',
there is a sysctl to do this (see the jail manpage).  I think that in
5.x and above you can load sysv shmem support as a kld, but this
obviously won't help you.

Kris