route entries after ICMP redirect

gnn at FreeBSD.org gnn at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 10 18:27:20 PDT 2005

At Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:14:59 +0400,
Sergey Matveychuk wrote:

> I've got some problem with route entries that was created after ICMP
> redirect messages. They are never expired.
>
> Our default gateway (it's a HP switch) send ICMP redirect messages if it
> see a short path to destination. It's makes it not so overloaded. But
> pathes sometime changed. There is no problem with Windows workstations,
> they are rebooted daily. But my FreeBSD boxes hold dinamic route entries
> forever.
>
> I've looked through RFCs and Stevens' books and found no answer on what
> TTL for this entries.
> Now I just add route flush as cron job. But may be there is another way?

Routes set through the redirect path do not have a timeout associated
with them.  The redirect message usually implies an error in the
network setup of your machines which would have to be handled by a
human being changing the configuration.

If you want to handle this in a more clever way than a cron job you
could write a small daemon which reads routing messages and does "the
right thing" for whatever your situation is.

Later,
George