cmpq dl380 server. ipmi bmc question

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Fri Apr 8 11:58:31 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Sloan" <tech at adtu.org>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 11:16 AM
Subject: cmpq dl380 server. ipmi bmc question

> Hello guys and gals,
>

> Does system fan control on a Compaq DL380 ,first edition, have any
support?
> Sounds like a jet at idle in the machine room.
>
> I have looked through the acpi and port recomendations I have come
> across via google and I'm not having any luck at all.  I believe it is
supported in Linux
> but I don't know how. I can't say I'm any hardware wizard on this kind of
thing.

> Update:  I installed freeipmi and ipmitool and I'm not having any luck
with these apps.
> The cli commands are apparently over my head because I haven't been able
to get it to work and now my head hurts.
> Am I barking up the right tree or just peeing on it?
> HP was not terribly helpful. All the recent ROMpaks have been installed.
> Thanks,
> Aaron

Aaron, are you sure that you're supposed to be able to adjust the fan speed
on the 380 from within the OS? The reason that I ask, is that the 330's and
350's have a temp sensor that isn't detected until during post, so there's a
few seconds on them that the fans run full on. I'm just curious because if
the 380's are set up the same, you may have a faulty sensor.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.