Build kernel vs build world

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 09:13:21 PDT 2005

You're right, building the world is building all the base binaries.
It should be done while you're building the kernel:
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel kernconf=CONF
# make installkernel kernconf=CONF
# make installworld
# mergemaster

Here's a good guide on everything you need to do to update your machine:
http://layer0.layeredtech.com/showthread.php?t=2