Keeping installed packages up to date

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Apr 5 08:29:25 PDT 2005

"Kenneth A. Bond" <kenneth_a_bond at yahoo.ca> writes:

> I have followed the steps outlined in Richard
> Bejtlich's document Keeping FreeBSD Applications
> Up-To-Date
> (http://www.taosecurity.com/keeping_freebsd_applications_up-to-date.html)

Did you look at the official FreeBSD documentation before following
third-party advice?  Both the FreeBSD FAQ and FreeBSD Handbook have
advice on this.

> My question is: is there an easier way of updating my
> installed packages?

Several.  You might try ctm(1).  Fuller details are in the Handbook,
if I recall.  Anonymous cvs access could work too, but is unlikely to
be allowed through the firewall if cvsup is not.

>                     The process described above is
> incredibly time-consuming. I would like to know if
> there is a less time consuming method, since I have
> managers foaming at the mouth for my servers to be up
> and online with the latest updates, as soon as
> possible.

Are these the same managers who are insisting on blocking cvsup for
security reasons?  If corporate security policy is to disallow system
updates, perhaps it would be inappropriate for you to find a way to
circumvent the security policy...

If you think that circumventing the security policy *is* what you want
to do, you could consider tunneling your cvsup connections through
ssh(1) or some similar technique.  Or you could make things easier by
simply automating the (early parts of the) procedure you're currently using.