Will Sempron 754 run with FreeBSD i386?

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Mon Apr 4 06:33:00 PDT 2005

Gareth Bailey wrote:
> Thanks. Can anyone else comment on the following points?:
>
> The 754 Sempron:
>
> - Will run in FreeBSD 4.11 i386?
> - Will not be faster than Sempron socket A?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gareth

I think you forgot to cc this message to
freebsd-questions. Anyways, to further
comment on these issues:

Sempron cores are identical in Socket A and
Socket 754 versions. Both support only 32-bit
instruction sets (i686 in terms of CPUTYPE
and i386 in terms of MACHINE). Any x86 OS
will run on Sempron/754 smoothly. Personally,
I think it's a much better choice than Celeron D.

Sempron/754 might be a little faster than
it's Socket A version - but that's _only_
because of the chipsets for Socket 754 are
more advanced than Socket A ones. I would
generally recommend using Sempron/754, as
you could upgrade to Athlon 64 later and
FreeBSD/x64 then. On the other hand, s754
will be deprecated in a few years in favour
of s939.

Best wishes,
Andrew P.