FreeBSD server behind router-NAT; how to configure sendmail?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 23:46:02 PDT 2005

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 3. April 2005 17:36 schrieb Rob:
>>There is a FAQ, that explains:
>>
>>  If you want all outgoing SMTP connections to use
>>  port 2525, you can use this in your .mc file:
>>
>>  define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 2525')
>>  define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 2525')
>>
>>I have put this in my hostname.mc file, but to no
>>avail. I'm probably not familiar enough with
>>sendmail way of doing things. But then this is
>>such a simple thing, that it should be easy.
>>
>>I suppose that with "netstat -a", there should be
>>a line with port 2525, if above works. But that is
>>not there.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly,
> but what you did with these defines is that
> sendmail contacts every other system at port 2525
> instead of 25, it's not listening on 2525, hence
> you can't see a tcp/2525 with netstat -a.
>
> But I think it should do what you want, if I
> understand your description right. If you want
> sendmail to listen at a custom port these defines
> are wrong. I don't have them in my mind right now,
> I'm sure you'll find the M4 defines at the sendmail
> FAQ, tell me if I can help.

Uh? So are the rules above right or not? I'm still
confused. The header of that particular FAQ was:
"How do I send using an alternate port?" and that's
what I want, unless my English is badly deteriorating,
which I often feel like when reading sendmail manual
pages :(.

Anyway, let's go back to what I want sendmail to do,
which is possibly a little more complicated than
just shifting to another outgoing port:

1) for local delivery, i.e. users on the PC, deliver
   to the local mailboxes (does that need port 25?).

2) for outgoing delivery, do that over an ssh-tunnel
   port, e.g. over port 2525:
       ssh -N -f -L 2525:localhost:25 smtp.my.isp

I can create the ssh-tunnel easily:
  telnet localhost 2525
connects me to the remote smtp server.

As you may have noticed, I am a very newbie to
sendmail configuration.

Thanks for your help!
Rob.