New Freebsd Install Guide Available

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Sun Apr 3 22:03:26 PDT 2005

As stated in the content displayed by those URL's  the Install guide
is free to anyone to download and very plainly states the content is
contributed to public domain.
So  why are so many people asking the same question when the answer
is so self evident?

And this writer takes offence to anybody calling the promoting of
this Install guide as verbally trashing the handbook.
I don't need to do that.  Many others have done that over the years.
Any regular reader of the list will know that the handbook content
has had many people voicing concern over its  less than basic
ability to convey meaningful instructions.  No need to open that
flame war again.

The bottom line is the firewall section of this Install guide has
been  lifted and used to replace the FreeBSD official  handbook's
complete firewall section all ready. Any body can lift any part of
the install guide and put forth their own effort to use it as source
to replace other sections of the official handbook. There is nothing
stopping you so go for it.

This Install guide has a much more meaningful index which is right
there all the time helping the reader to navigate the guides
different subjects.  The presentation method of the index and
content on split screen is more in line with modern web content that
every ones sees these days. Plus the install Guide progresses in an
step by step manner from installing the base default system all the
way up to configurating a private LAN which can masquerade as a
commercial user.  This address the desired server configuration most
often wanted by the majority the first time posters to this
questions list.

Another important niche this FreeBSD Install Guide covers is that it
is downloadable direct to ms/window boxes and can be viewed using
the ms/explorer browser.  You UNIX purists have to accept the fact
that there are many ms/win users who want to be FreeBSD users and
dual win/FreeBSD users out there and this Install guide opens up a
bridge to the FreeBSD operating system to service this untapped
potential user group.  Just watch the posts on the list for the
magnitude of ms/office top posters to bear out that truth.   The
official handbook in its current format does not address this. Since
its 3/1//05 public domain release this install guide has been
visited 1500 times and downloaded 216 times.  This was mostly from
people who responded from the UNIX news groups  postings.

The best thing for the FreeBSD doc group to do is request to be an
official mirror of the Install guide. Hay the Doc group will have
the best win win situation here. They get an alternate view of the
install process that is maintained outside of the FreeBSD project.
Much like the pf  firewall has its own self maintained user guide.
Now this is something to think about.