pf for FreeBSD

JohnsoBS at vicksburg.navy.mil JohnsoBS at vicksburg.navy.mil
Tue Sep 28 05:45:39 PDT 2004

The fact you only have to maintain one OS is one great advantage. One ports
tree, one system to patch for security updates. The learning curve to use
FreeBSD's pf is negligible imo. As long as kernel support is compiled in for
it, and you have the users in your /etc/passwd it just works. Least for me
as I have been using it since it was introduced as a kernel kld, and
sometime shortly after it became a native module to freebsd. Its imo easier
to maintain that say ipfw, as well as faster.