5.2.1-RELEASE ethernet troubles

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Sep 23 01:30:02 PDT 2004

your bios on the motherboard doesen't like that card.  try flashing the
bios if possible with a newer version.

> 3.  Slightly less cheap LinkSys LNE100TX, using dc0 driver: dmesg
>     reports "MII without PHY!" error and ifconfig therefore doesn't
>     see it.

lots of hardware versions of that card, just for grins try booting
fbsd 4.10 and see if it is recognized.  driver issues galore.

> 4.  ANCIENT 10BaseT card using ed0 driver:  It's recongnized but
>     gives "kernel: ed0 device timeout" errors.

To get that to work you need to go into bios and change the resources to
manually assigned then exclude the irq you have on that card from the
pnp manager in the bios.  even then, this may not work on all irq's.
you may be a while at testing different ones.

Jsut keep trying different pci nics.  a intel etherexpress pro100 would be
my next choice (fxp0)

Ted