finding out information about installed ports/packages

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Sep 21 22:51:14 PDT 2004

On 2004-09-22 00:55, KUKKO <el_kukko at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I hate to bother you cause I know that you are probably busy with many
> other more complicated issues.  But I have run into this problem.

Hi,
The freebsd-questions list exists exactly for this purpose.  So that people
can ask FreeBSD-related questions.  You are not bothering anyone :-)

Please, try to use a short and to the point subject when posting though.
Otherwise your question might get lost or ignored by people who quickly skim
through hundreds of posts every day.  I've changed the subject now.  Just
noting this for any future posts.

> After installing many of the ports successfully (without errors) I
> can't seem to be able to get them to start in gnome kde etc.  except
> for a few like like abiword.  How can I learn how to start these apps
> or any app once installed? In other words how can I learn the app
> executing commands for ports etc.

The ports add binaries in one or two very well-known places.  These are
/usr/local and /usr/X11R6.  Look at the `bin' and `sbin' subdirectories of
these two catalogs.

A good way to find out exactly the executable files that a port installed in
these directories is to use pkg_info(1) after installing it:

	# pkg_info | grep irssi
	irssi-0.8.9_2       A modular IRC client with many features
	# pkg_info -L irssi-0.8.9_2 | grep bin/
	/usr/local/bin/irssi

Regards,
Giorgos