Undelete featured filesystem forfreebsd? WAS: Undelete on untouched partition

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Sep 20 06:13:10 PDT 2004

Joachim Dagerot <freebsd at dagerot.nu> wrote:
> -------------------
>  | On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:23:08AM +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
>  | > I have a disk with one single slice and one partition: ad1s1d. I
> used
>  | > move to move ALL data on this disk to another location and after
> that
>  | > has the disk been unused. Is there a way to get the content back
> using
>  | > a copy of a FAT or similar?
>  | Recovering erased data from a UFS requires guru skills.
>
> What a pitty, well nothing to do then I guess. Thanks for your answer.

Not true.  There are utilities available, and I've seen more than one
HOWTO on this subject.  Use google.

> Is anyone aware of an approach to get some kind of soft deletion
> functionality on freeBSD. I mean, it's not extremely unique to be able
> to get files back after a deletion, even windows has features for this
> since long time.

CVS, or other version control system.  Backup.  Intelligent file
management.

It's rather interesting to note that the Windows world focuses on
recovering from mistakes _after_ they happen, whereas the Unix world
focuses on working in such a way that mistake recovery will be
trivial.

Windows -> Oops, I screwed up, let me publish the crazy things I had
           to do to recover from my mistake.
Unix -> I'm going to do this important stuff.  Before I start, I'm going
        to assume that the fact that I'm human means there's a good
        chance that I'll make mistakes and corrupt or lose things, so I'll
        take steps from the get-go to make it easy to backtrack when that
        happens.

Just my $.02

--
Bill Moran