Recompiling `world` throws Segmentation fault

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Sep 18 18:49:51 PDT 2004

robg <robg.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I updated my source code to 4.10 and went to recompile world using
> `make buildworld` and it prints this out:
>

> gzip -cn /usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccard.conf.5 > pccard.conf.5.gz
> gzip -cn /usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/pccardd.8 > pccardd.8.gz
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> *** Error code 139
>
> Stop in /usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/usr.sbin.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> 35218#
>
> Could someone tell me how to fix this?

There is a FAQ entry on this, but the short answer is:
If you try to make world multiple times, and it segfaults at a different
part of the process each time, it's probably faulty hardware.

See the FreeBSD FAQ for more information.  Also, download and run something
along the lines of memtest86 to see if your RAM is reliable.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies