Apache13 + mod_php segfault at startup

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Sat Sep 18 03:23:04 PDT 2004

Vonleigh Simmons wrote:
>     I keep struggling with this without finding a way of fixing it.
> Whenever I link in mod_php into httpd.conf (loadmodule and addmodule),
> apache fails to start up. I can get it to work by commenting mod_php it
> out, starting up apache, then commenting it back in and restarting. If I
> restart once more, then it segfaults again. In the logs I occasionally get:
>
> [notice] child pid 17255 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
>     I've tried installing (and reinstalling) apache13-modssl,
> apache13-modperl, reinstalling /usr/ports/www/mod_php4, compiling apache
> without expat, checking ldd:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so:
>         libcrypt.so.2 => /lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x28248000)
>         libm.so.2 => /lib/libm.so.2 (0x28261000)
>
> /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so:
>         libcrypt.so.2 => /lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x28248000)
>         libm.so.2 => /lib/libm.so.2 (0x28261000)
>
>     So far nothing has been successful. I even tried installing apache2
> to see if that would work, and although it does for the most part, it
> crashes when using the php mail() function.

This happens from time to time and I've no idea why, but hitting it with
a lump hammer, as follows, seems to fix it for me.

1. deinstall php or mod_php, depending on how you installed it initially
2. manually delete /usr/local/include/php
3. manually delete /usr/local/share/pear if it's there
4. manually delete /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so if it's still there
5. reinstall php

HTH

Peter.