cd stuck in cd drive after failed burn

Anthony Philipp philipp1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:36:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 02:26:03PM -0600, Sheets, Jason (OZ CEEDR) wrote:
> I would consider this a hardware problem, what type of media are you
> using?
>
> There is usually a whole in the front of the drive that allows you to
> insert a paper clip or other object to physically open the drive as long
> as it is not in use.
>
> I've had drives hang because of a failed burn with low quality media, it
> also depends on the quality of the drive itself and the quality of the
> firmware on the drive, those companies that skimp on firmware
> development time have less reliable drives.
>
> Did you upgrade or alter the OS in any way since you saw this problem,
> is it reproducible, if so have you tried using a different media or
> burning the media at a slower speed (just because media claims to work
> at say 48X doesn't mean all drives will be capable of burning it
> successfully at 48X).
>
> Jason
Well I did insert the paper clip into the drive, and it did not respond. I have not had time to try and reproduce it, but I have burned cds with this media at 32x before with no problems. In fact I've done this many times, but this is the first time I've had the problem with the cd getting stuck in the drive. Also I have not changed the OS since. I dont really have access to other media since I bought 100 of these, but they've worked before so I have no reason to suspect the media. I'll try to reproduce it tonight.
Thanks for your response
Anthony