Which Distro?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Sep 14 04:41:55 PDT 2004

On Sep 13, 2004, at 11:27 PM, Viper wrote:

> I am going to buy a Mac g4 soon, and I am thinking
> about turning it into a server. I asked around and
> everybody rocommended FreeBSD to me. So what distro of
> FreeBSD would I use for a mac computer?

As far as I know, there isn't a "freebsd" release for the PPC chip.
There is a version of NetBSD, though, and there's Darwin.

Personally, I'd say stick with the OS X that comes with a new G4
system.  It *IS* Darwin underneath, much of it is *based* on FreeBSD,
and can make a decent server system (plus it would support OS X
programs as well as the UNIX programs).

Are you going to use it exclusively as a server?  You could just put
Darwin on it if you really wanted to.  If you're going to have it play
double duty as a desktop system, keep OS X on it.  If you just want to
play with different OS's on it, try NetBSD.  If you really want to try
FreeBSD, get Virtual PC for the Mac and see if it will install FreeBSD
into a virtual machine :-)

-Bart