1 step forward/2 steps back

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Sep 13 17:47:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Bill Schmitt wrote:

> I'm really stumped, and quite frustrated with the whole thing. I know I'm
> using an old machine (Gateway 300 with a PII and 128 Megs of memory) but it
> shouldn't be this hard and I got a lot further using the old graphics
> adapter. I could really use some help here.

It's not an old machine, at least as far as FreeBSD is concerned; I've
used lots of machines with lower specs that ran fine.

The only things I can suggest are to make sure that "PNP OS" is turned
off in the BIOS, and that you try the install with a single hard drive
and single CD drive, both masters on their own IDE channel.  Beyond
that, there may be something in the installation section of the FAQ or
Handbook (both at http://www.freebsd.org) that would help.

Another thing to consider is that there may be something wrong with the
Gateway that is only detected when running FreeBSD's unique memory or
hardware usage.  Your Knoppix CD probably has Memtest86, which is worth
trying.

Don't give up; FreeBSD is worth it.