hi

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Sep 13 15:57:55 PDT 2004

A W wrote:

> hello i was wondering if u could answer the following questions
>
> 1) is it possible to have both freebsd 5.2.1 with KDE 3.1 and Windows
> 98 on

> the same Hard Disk. If yes how can i do this?

Yes, it's called "dual booting" by many people.  I can't tell you
how.  AFAIK, it is not covered by the official documentation, either;
I would imagine you could find some information by searching the
web.

> 2) can i run .exe files with KDE 3.1 because when i launch a .exe file
> it asks
> me what to program to use to it open with.

I don't think this would be possible unless you use an emulator.
The FreeBSD kernel and the windows kernel are not at all alike.
VMWare is a noted emulator, and it is available [if you have the ports
tree installed] at /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2.  I know nothing about
it, myself...

> 3) im trying to run 256 color and 800x600 reolution hopefully 1024x780
> as well. But everytime
> i configure th Xserver it always launch in 256 color 300x200. How can
> i fix this so that it will
> run the right resolution i want and the right color as well. And i
> have asked this question
> before but i just didn't quite understand the answers that came back.
>
> 4) Is it possible to run KDE in 16 bit color???? Because everytime i
> run it in 16 bit color
> it says there are no screens found.

You will need to give information on your video hardware and a "paste"
of your
XFree86 (or Xorg) config file.  "No screens found" means that the X
server cannot
find a valid configuration to run with using the information in your
configuration file
(which, in XFree86, is generall /etc/X11/XF86config).

You need the right values in several places in this file.  IIRC, the
handbook has
a good description of what you need to do to configure XFree86, and a sample
config file...

> if you answer these questions can u please answer them clearly and
> explain the way i
> have to do the things thoroughly. Because i don't really like the fact
> that i get answer
> and i have no i idea how to do it or have no idea where to find it or
> what command i
> have to type, and have to reply just to ask how to.
>
>     thank u and please don't find the last paragraph offensive

Well, I don't guess that I do; you need to realize that there is a
"learning curve"
here, and you're going to have to spend a lot of time and do a good bit
of reading
to master the OS.  FreeBSD is extremely powerful and flexible --- as a
counterpart
to this flexibility and power you get a system that isn't configured
(perhaps) the
way that you think it should be right "out of the box"... RTFM/STFW/ask
good questions;
pay Wisdom's price and you'll receive her rewards in due time...

Kevin Kinsey