how to update system time?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Sep 10 12:11:09 PDT 2004

"Matthias F. Brandstetter" <haimat at lame.at> writes:

> The computer _is_ able to reach the ntp server.
> See this example:
>
> [ 17:34 mx2 at ebox ~ ] date
> Fri Sep 10 17:35:00 CEST 2004
> [ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] rdate time.fu-berlin.de
> Fri Sep 10 19:57:55 2004
> [ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] rdate -s time.fu-berlin.de
> [ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] date
> Fri Sep 10 17:35:27 CEST 2004
> [ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ] ntpdate time.fu-berlin.de
> 10 Sep 17:35:42 ntpdate[8708]: no server suitable for synchronization found
> [ 17:35 mx2 at ebox ~ ]

time.fu-berlin.de is not an ntp server, so that's a different problem
than rdate.

> I really wonder why system time isn't set, because as said I use the rdate
> tool on another FreeBSD machine and the same time server w/o any
> problems...
>
> Any other ideas?

I seem to recall that rdate isn't very good at giving error
information.  Are the two systems configured identically?  A raised
securelevel(8) (level 2 or higher) will keep the time from getting
changed by more than 1 second...