Question about FreeBSD.

Philip Payne philip.payne at uk.mci.com
Fri Sep 10 09:14:15 PDT 2004

> Hi, I'm quite new to the world of linux, and I are going to
> set up a linux
> server, and I'm looking aroud for a good linux system, and I
> find FreeBSD
> quite interesting. Does FreeBSD have a X-mode and is it easy
> to handle?
> Whats the difference between FreeBSD, Slackware and Redhat?

Wow... what a can of worms. Most importantly FreeBSD is not Linux. Though
you'll find lots of crossover in terms of applications (e.g. XOrg, XFree86,
Gnome, KDE).

You'll find lots of opinion on whether FreeBSD is better than Linux and vice
versa.

My suggestion is you read up about each Linux distro & FreeBSD and decide
for you personally which is best.

FreeBSD can run X. I use it as a desktop. The things that make me come back
to FreeBSD each time I try a different linux distro is:
	1) The make buildworld, installworld, buildkernel, installkernel
tools that make upgrading/updating your system a breeze.
	2) The ports system that makes installing applications and
dependencies a thoughtless stress-free task.
	3) The portupgrade sysutil that makes managing the upgrade of your
applications equally stress free.

Laters,
Phil.