getting ssh to work

Mark Vasquez mrvasquez at cox.net
Fri Sep 3 11:25:03 PDT 2004

David Syphers wrote:

>On Friday 03 September 2004 02:56 am, David Syphers wrote:
>[a lot of stuff about how ssh doesn't work]
>
>Oh my, I feel silly. See, I have no experience with LANs, and foolishly though
>that I had a real IP, that computers off the LAN could use to find me...
>Didn't even realize I was _on_ a LAN, actually.
>
>So ssh works fine, I just need to figure out how to let other computers know
>where I am. *sigh*
>
>-David

I had a similar problem with using SSH to connect to a FreeBSD box that
I have. It turned out that the reason was that on the gateway that I
use, I had IP forwarding disabled. My gateway is a box running Slackware
Linux, and I am using Iptables to implement NAT (Network Address
Translation). Your firewall is most likely something different, but I
thought that you might find this info helpful in some way.

Mark Vasquez