Enabling Serial Console

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Fri Sep 3 07:18:21 PDT 2004

Wish to enable the serial console on my servers so that I can remotely
view a reboot when it crashes ... I know to  plug the serial cable into
COM1 ... and I know I have to add something to /boot.config, but, if I
want to set it so that even if the keyboard is plugged in, the serial
console works, what do I need to add?  I always thought -P, but reading
the man page, I'm not so sure :(

Also ... I'm going to cross-connect the servers for now ...
ServerA/COM1->ServerB/COM2, ServerB/COM1->ServerC/COM2, etc ... what
happens if all machines come up at once?  I see nothing in the man page
about 'detecting serial', so I'm assuming that the serial console will
still work, even if there is nothing at the other end 'listening' yet?

Thanks ...

----