5.1, 5.2, or 5.3???

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Sep 1 14:07:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:58:20AM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> So, I have been told that I shouldn't put 5.x on a production box, but
> on the other hand I need pam_ldap, nss_ldap support on my box, which I
> have also been told is only available in 5.x.  Whereas this is to be a
> Postfix server, I would like to know, which version of 5.x should I
> install, or perhaps there is a way to use linux emulation for pam and
> nss under 4.x?  If, however, 5.x I must install, which would people
> recommend and what problems will I be facing by putting it into
> production?

	Despite the official warnings, I've been running 5.2 on
	my DNS server since early July.  Zero stability problems
	noted; and the server gets some heavy use.  This is just
	one reason I've stuck with FBSD since 2.0.5: the design
	and implementation is first rate.   If I were you, I
	would install 5.3beta now and update every few weeks
	until 5.3 is marked -STABLE.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix