Is my computer under spec?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sun Oct 31 16:35:21 PST 2004

I have been having performance problems with my computer for months,
ever since I did a fresh install of freebsd 5.2.1.  I thought the
situation might change after debugging was turned off in RELENG_5 so I
upgraded a couple weeks ago to 5.3-BETA7, but only saw slight
improvements.  I'm running Xorg, fvwm 2.4, several xterms, vncviewer,
mozilla, xmms, and xine and my system was really running slow.  At some
point mozilla was killed because the system was out of swap space.  I
have a pentium celeron 3 600 MHz, with 128 megs of ram, 30 gig hd, 256
meg swap.  Is my system just under spec for freebsd 5.x or is something
else wrong?

I didn't really think this should push a system like this that hard.  I
might try running linux on it in a similar configuration to compare and
maybe think about some more ram if it also has problems.
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C