How to get out of GNOME?

Matt Navarre mnavarre at cox.net
Sat Oct 30 18:54:50 PDT 2004

On Saturday 30 October 2004 05:51, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> WHERE should I have found the magic ctl+alt+F1? Nowhere in the GNOME
> help, is it to be found, Google "exit gnome" and the like didn't find
> it....

ctl+alt+F1 doesn't really quit Gnome. It switches to a virtual terminal that
has getty instead of GDM running on it.

For more on virtual terminals:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/consoles.html

For more on xdm/gdm/kdm:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

That doesn't really cover gdm, but the basics are the same.
--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming,
 and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind