How to get out of GNOME?

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Oct 30 17:51:07 PDT 2004

pete wright wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:11:23 -0700, Jay O'Brien <jayobrien at att.net> wrote:
>
>>Running 4.10.
>>
>>I added the GNOME package, updated the files it said to edit
>>when it was installing, and now I can't get out of GNOME,
>>even with editing (via ftp) the files back as they were in
>>the first place and rebooting.
>>
>>How can I get back to a command line terminal?
>

> ctl+alt+F1 should bring you to a virtual terminal.  i bet gnome is
> launching GDM or XDM on boot, if you take that out of your startup
> scrips you should be all set.

Pete, Thank you. Now I can get control again. And yes, it had me copy
/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample as gdm.sh. I deleted the gdm.sh and now
it doesn't boot into GNOME.

WHERE should I have found the magic ctl+alt+F1? Nowhere in the GNOME
help, is it to be found, Google "exit gnome" and the like didn't find it....

Jay