Sysinstall FTP from LAN - not working

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Wed Oct 27 09:49:16 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 03:50:47PM -0400, Les Kruszewski wrote:
> I am trying to install 5.2.1 from an iMac running OSX with an FTP
> server.  When I set up the FTP address I use the iMac's IP and enter
> the FreeBSD folder location.  The iMac has a password and user so
> these are entered in the options menu.  The user, password, and
> IP/folder are identical to that used on my FTP client under Win98 that
> connects without issue.  The box I am installing FreeBSD on is also a
> Win98 box.  When running Win98 on this box I have no problems
> connecting to the FTP server on the iMac.
>
> The error message that I get is "no route to host"  and then it asks
> if I would like to reconfigure.
>
> I can't connect in sysinstall with the freebsd servers either
> (directly or in passive mode).  Again outside of the sysinstall in
> Win98 on the same machine, no problem.
>
> I have connected to the same location to load Suse Linux on another
> computer in the LAN.
>
> I set up the network information automatically with the DHCP selection
> so that all the information regarding my LAN comes from the router.  I
> know that I have communication between the installer and the router
> since all the system info comes across okay.
>
> I cannot get a ping response, when tried from a Win98 box on the LAN,
> for the network address associated with the computer's NIC that I am
> trying to install FreeBSD on when sysinstall runs.
>
> Any thoughts on proper configuration?
>
> Les Kruszewski

From within sysinstall you should be able to press Alt-F2 to get to
another virtual terminal.  From there you can do some poking around,
such as running `ifconfig' to see if you network interface is in fact
detected and configured.  If so, you could also check your routing table
with `netstat -rn'.  However, FreeBSD should automatically add a route
for any hosts on the same network as your network interface.  So, unless
the FTP server is on a different network then there shouldn't be a
problem.  If for some reason (and it probably shouldn't be this way) the
Mac FTP server is on a differnt IP network, you'll have to add a special
route to that network manually, or simply put the Mac on the same
network that is being handed out by your DHCP server.

Nathan
--
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49