First impressions of FreeBSD 5.3

Gordon Freeman freebsdjunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 11:54:07 PDT 2004

Well, After upgrading a very vanilla 5.2.1 to 5.3 a lot of things are
just broken.

ipfstat doesn't run. The error:
openkmem:open:no such file or directory

My RAID card (Adaptec 2150 using asr driver) is inaccessible because
the rasr control device no longer exists. Making raidutil useless.

And the server runs incredibly slow. (No I didn't leave in the testing options)

The upgrade was far from smooth for me. Which was mostly my fault
(/usr/src/UPDATING is a must read) but that doesn't really explain why
things are running so badly on this box.

ACPI is disabled, and aside from including IPF and SMP options into
the kernel, it is a very generic kernel as well.