Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Oct 25 10:37:42 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-25 13:20, TM4525 at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/25/04 1:08:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>keramida at ceid.upatras.gr writes:
>>> And this differs from your experience in the Windows world...how? :-)
>>
>>I'm not sure I understand your question.  Rephrase or make it more
>>specific, because answering to such a vague question is pointless.
>
> The inability of people to stay on point is as befuddling as it is
> entertaining.
>
> I think we all agree that you wouldn't let a windows tech touch your
> unix-like box, but you'd have no problem having a unix tech install a
> windows application. 'nuf said.

Does this make you think at all?

Does it worry you that the so-called "technicians" of the Windows world are
often called to install, configure and run systems just because "they know
how to 'do' Windows"?

Is what you describe something that can be considered a disadvantage of the
way UNIX works (making it pretty much obligatory to "know what you are doing"
before doing it)?

Or is it an advantage, after all?