Xmkmf/make problem

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Tue Oct 19 04:26:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 19:39, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-10-18 19:25, Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays at rogers.com> wrote:
> > I have several Xlib programs that compiled successfully on earlier
> > versions of FreeBSD (4.1 and before), using xmkmf and make.  With 5.1, I
> > get an error message:
> >
> > "make: don't know how to make /usr/include/machine/ansi.h. Stop"
> >
> > It looks as though this header file, and several others, have been moved
> > to other directories.
> >
> > Is there a simple fix to a configuration file somewhere, or is the
> > problem fixed in 5.3-BETA?
>
> AFAIK, the best option is to fix the broken programs.  Depending on what
> it is exactly that these programs needed to pull in from ansi.h you can
> use one or more of:
>
> 	#include <sys/types.h>
> 	#include <stdint.h>
> 	#include <limits.h>
>
> To give a more definitive reply, we'd have to look at the source or at
> least at the error messages you get by removing (or simply commenting
> out) the inclusion of the ansi.h header.
>
> - Giorgos

The header files in one of these programs are as follows:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xutil.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdint.h>

I added the last two after your suggestion; they don't make any
difference.  I don't have any clue why this long-standing program, which
was developed on Solaris and ported to Linux and FreeBSD, has suddenly
started to give me problems. The Imakefile is as follows, and gives no
clue about what might be missing.

SYS_LIBRARIES= -lXmu -lXaw  -lXt -lX11 -lm -lXi
SRCS = lst.c
OBJS = lst.o

ComplexProgramTarget (lst)