arbitrary programs in /etc/ttys

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Tue Oct 19 01:05:25 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:04:00PM +0200, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>
> >ttyv0	"/usr/bin/cu -l cuaa0"		vt100  on  secure
> >
> >But this gives me the following error when restarting init:
> >
> >init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs
> >
> >Apparently cu can not be started directly from /etc/ttys, can it?  How
> >else should I accomplish this?
> >

> I think you are trying to start cu on a _virtual_ terminal (ttyvN). In
> my /etc/ttys the section with the virtual terminals is followed by these
> entries:
>
> # Serial terminals
> # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> # Dumb console
> dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
>
> I think you just need to turn the corresponding serial port "on". I am
> not sure if you can create a login screen on your soon-to-be terminal
> automatically upon startup of the FreeBSD box, however...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Benjamin

The terminal server (at the other end of the line) is configured
correctly (it's not a FreeBSD btw).  It has about 30 serial ports with
serial terminals connected to them.  Now I want a spare FreeBSD box to
act as another serial terminal.  "cu -l cuaa0" works correctly, and I
want init to spawn such a cu session on the first virtual console,
instead of a local getty.

GH

--
:wq