Questions on file descriptors and squid

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 19:17:24 PDT 2004

Good day,

   I have a pc which I am going to turn into one of
our siblings proxy servers. The squid book says, the
file descriptor values should not go below 1024.

Qestion1: Do you know how do freebsd 4.10 sets its
default(fresh install) file descriptor value? For
example, here are the components of the workstation I
am installing squid into.

Pentium III 600 MHz
64 MB SD RAM
15 GB hard disk

When I run 'sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc' this value
appeared:

kern.maxfilesperproc: 957

so, it already violates the squids recommended
settings which should be not less than 1024 file
descriptor(Squid: The Definitive Guide -Duane
Wessels).

On the other hand, another workstation of mine with
the following components...

256 DDR PC333
Athlon XP 2000
80 GB seagate harddisk

...shows its file descriptor as

beebop>>sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
        kern.maxfilesperproc: 3636

Qestion2: both of the kern.maxfiles and
kern.maxfilesperproc's values are changeable and so,
how will I know what is the maximum value I can set
them to(with regards to my hardware setup)?