OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 17:36:14 PDT 2004

it was said:

>>>Here's what we're proposing for the new hardware:
>>>
>>>AMD Athlon64 - 3200+ (Socket 754 - I know, but it's cheap)
>>>MSI K8T-FSR (VIA Chipset)
>>>2048MB DDR400 Non-ECC RAM
>>

>>In my experience trying to put more than 1GB RAM in a socket-754
>>mainboard
>>is asking for trouble. This type of board is incredibly picky about
its
>>memory, especially when using more than two DIMMs.
>
>Yes Toms hardware has an article on this:
>
>http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040112/index.html
>
>They say that only 3 out of 10 of the  socket 754 mainboards worked
>with more than one DIMM.

Hello,

I have two servers running the MSI K8T. Both have 2 DDR400 ECC DIMMS
from Kingston. I have not seen this issue. I wasn't even aware of it
until now. I can't remember what the timings are, but they are whatever
the manufacturer recommended - as I said, these are servers. But I do
know that the BIOS date is either April or May, not 24OCT03 as in the
article. Maybe it's been fixed in the MSI BIOS. While the information
in the article is nine months old, therefore of questionable value
today, it does give very good advice: Check your vendor's return
policy.

HTH,

Stheg