Moving from P3 to Xeon

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Oct 14 06:50:55 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:36:35 +0300, Toomas Aas wrote
> Hello!
>
> I have a server running RELENG_4_9 on IBM eServer 220 (P3 CPU). I
> have 'CPUTYPE=p3' in /etc/make.conf and I've built world (and a lot
> of ports) using this CPUTYPE setting.
>
> Now, suppose I take the RAID controller with disks from this machine
> and put it into an eServer 225 which has a Xeon CPU. Would
> everything work OK?

Well, that depends on the type of Xeon. There are Xeons build on the
Coppermine core (the same as the P3), but if you are migrating to a newer type
of Xeon (nocona, for instance) then you could run into problems. Even if your
machine boots without problems, it will probably lead to reduced performance.
After all, you compiled everything for a P3. Unless you don't have another
choice, I would suggest you start over again and compile everything for your
new Xeon.

Cheers,

Jorn