Installer

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Tue Oct 12 15:52:35 PDT 2004

At 15:14 10/12/2004, Newton wrote:
>Dear Friends : I'm a Linux user since 1,999 and I'm really interested in
>start FreeBSD. OK, it's a new system, different versions and so on. My
>experience with computers started with Basic, after MS-DOS, Windows and
>Linux. When I tried Linux, 5 years-ago, partitions, kde, window maker
>and many of them, were only words. My first fear, was erase my HD. I did
>it many times, but I knew how to start again or recover. I'm writing
>these things, cause in these years using Linux, I saw a big evolution ,
>specially the installer. Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, Slackware and
>another, made a goob job and you can do it , almost without problems.
>But, when I tried FreeBSD installer, I remembered Debian, the worst
>installer ! Probably another distributions, like Knoppix, Kurumin ,
>Gnoppix to name a few, trying to make the life user easiest ! My first
>experience with FreeBSD, was 5.0, with a PC Master, brazilian magazine.
>After many tries, a XFree86 error, when I typed startx, disappointed me
>again and, I forgot it... On the last month, I downloaded the 2 CDs,
>5.2.1, and, the same installer, errors, infinite loops... very
>disappointing ! I tried many lists, and with some support,to resolve or
>not, the problems. Again, I format my system and, here I am, with
>Windows (mainly for games and a problematic usb scanner) and Linux. I
>need a more stable system. Many people talked me very good about
>FreeBSD. For me, until now , the biggest deception ! Please, I don't
>know the FreeBSD objectives, but if you would like that more and more
>people can use it, CHANGE this installer. Confuse , in one word !
>Disappointing ! I tried standard, express, custom , all packages,
>minimum, all kind of ways... I can't understand a looped install. Almost
>2 hours after, an error... My video card is recognized , but when you
>did post-install, not ! You tried many XFrre86 configs and not.... When
>something happens and finally you can start KDE or GNOME or another,
>DHCP don't run and so on. Please change this installer and trying to
>better hardware and network configuration ! Until this, I'll never tried
>FreeBSD again ! Sincerely, Newton - Curitiba - Brazil

Hi Newton,

Definitely the installer (sysinstall) needs to made more
user friendly.  Since FreeBSD is a volunteer project, anyone
can work on a new 'user-friendly' version.  How 'bout you?  ;^)

I had trouble at first installing FreeBSD, but once I put
together a procedure list for myself, it doesn't take much time
at all:
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/

I recommend you start from 'scratch' and install it on a
blank hard drive.

Good luck!

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/