video memory on intel extreme graphics?

yuri van Overmeeren yuri.vanovermeeren at reston.demon.nl
Sat Oct 2 09:45:39 PDT 2004

yuri van Overmeeren wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>
>> can someone explain this to me please
>>
>> from dmesg
>> agp0: detected 8060k stolen memory
>> agp0: aperture size is 128M
>>
>> so is my i810 video using 8meg or 128 meg or what?
>>

> Hi,
>
> The 128 Mb aperture is the maximum amount of system memory the AGP can
> use as graphics memory, it's using 8Mb currently (but it can use 128
> Mb max). you can usually adjust aperture size in your bios.

ehm no, that's not quite correct...it's using a maximum of 128 Mb of
system memory as graphics memory as said before, AND 8 Mb of stolen
memory (I think..., used as framebuffer?, to do all vga/vesa modes?)

To be honest I read about the intel graphics and how they work...but can
quite remember it (brain probably did not use enough stolen memory)

-yuri