gnome 2.8 mime associations

Anton Alin-Adrian aanton at spintech.ro
Sat Oct 2 06:42:24 PDT 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
 > On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 20:59, Anton Alin-Adrian wrote:
 >
 >>Hello,
 >>
 >>	I just installed gnome 2.8 from the marcuscom.com tinderbox, and
 >>everything is great and neat, except mimes are completely broken.
 >

 > Define, "completely broken."

Hi Marcus, I appologise for putting the problem in fast words. I really
appreciate the fact that I can install gnome 2.8 because of your work,
instead of waiting the ports freeze.

Maybe I did something wrong here. Nautilus is unable to open any sort of
files, because "there is no application associated with this file type".
This include text files, pictures, and even directories. It can't open
simple directories, it gives the same error.

I run FreeBSD 4.10 as desktop.

For example, when I click the homedir icon on my desktop, it sais "There is
no action associated with "bu".", and bu is my username.

The same window provides a button for "Associate Application", but clicking
on it makes the window vanish, and nothing happens (because the applet
which is called when this button is pushed, is not found. I found it in the
gnome 2.6 port source, as a tool in sysutils/gnome-control-center, but
nowhere else in the filesystem.)

Here's a sample error:

(nautilus:332): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

(nautilus:332): Eel-WARNING **: Error starting command
'gnome-file-types-properties 'x-directory/normal' 'Pseudo'': Failed to
execute child process "gnome-file-types-properties" (No such file or directory)

(nautilus:332): Bonobo-WARNING **: Leaked a total of 1 refs to 1 bonobo
object(s)

Thanks for your hard work, Marcus, and again, I appologise if I managed to
offend you.

If I shall make snapshots, I believe it is not proper to submit them on the
list, so please let me know, and thanks for your time again.

Yours,
--
Alin-Adrian Anton
Spintech Systems